Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLuff Tape Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luff Tape Repair
    Posted: 23 April 2012 at 3:43pm

Hello All,

The top bit of luff tape on my head sail is sun damaged.  I was able to tear it away from the sail easily with my hands so I’d like to fashion a repair.  I have several questions on repairing this.

Can I just tape it both sides and stitch?

Can I replace a small section of luff tape?  I’m worried that if I do this the break in luff tape could get caught along the furler track.

If I make a repair using tape.  Should I wrap a piece of tape around / over the luff rope first or will this make the rope too thick to fit in the sail track?

I’d like to avoid replacing the entire luff tape as the rest of it is in good shape.

Thank you,

Christopher

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 3:49pm
Hi,
As you already know, replacing the whole luff tape is the best approach.

But I also would be inclinded to try the repair. I think I would wrap it with adhesive backed UV insignia. I would go around the rope edge and into the sail at least 5 inches. Sewing it down would be a good idea as well. In most cases the very thin insignia will not cause tolerance issues with the track.

Best Regards, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
cercole View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 4:17pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The insignia tape is a great idea I'll try that first.  I'd like to get the upcoming season out of it than make a more permanent repair next winter.

Way too many boat projects and we launch in just a couple of weeks...

Thanks again,

Christopher

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 4:20pm
Make sure you get the UV coated insignia. We sell this for UV covers and it is more durable than standard number insignia.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
cercole View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:12am
Matt,
Thanks for the follow up.  I'll get the UV Coated Material.  Ordering it today.

Thanks again.

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 6:06pm
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic