Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LS1 seems stiff at needles highest point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrducke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LS1 seems stiff at needles highest point
    Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:58am
I was sewing binding (using the swing away binder which is awesome!) over two layers of canvas and 1 layer of 30 g. vinyl when there was a loud, almost grindy, clunk sound. I immediately stopped and tried to rotate the wheel by hand, but it would not go through a whole rotation. The needle would stop at the highest point in both reverse and forward, but not rotate through the whole cycle.
We took the cover(s) off and oiled all the usual spots, and i discovered the needle arm was unusually high. Im guessing the pressure of multiple layers slid it up and it was hitting the casing (maybe the cause of it not rotating, but definitely not the noise.)
After watching the video on how to adjust it, we lowered ithe bar down to the appropriate height. Checked the lower casing pieces as well and everything appears to be in alingment, clean, and no spurs. It now rotates through, but it seems to bog down and feels stiff when the needle gets to the high point when manually rotating the wheel. (After hearing that crunch im a little gun shy to actually press the peddle since i dont want to break anything.) When the needle is high, the foot is low and it loks like it is trying to grind on the plate. I walked it over a papertowel, and it seems to pull it through fine, but i dont recall ever feeling resistance when the needle was at the high mark before this incident. Is there something that should be adjusted within the presser bar area that would cause this?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 7:57am
Hi,

This sounds like just a needle bar slippage issue but I think you should check the timing of the hook as well and make sure the shuttle driver is rotating freely inside the shuttle basket too. I doubt the feet moved out of position and what you explained about the foot appearing to grind against the plate sounds normal to me. I am opening a case for Matt B to help you further. Please watch for the email.

Thanks!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic