Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lots of Craigsist ads for used LS-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsonthars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lots of Craigsist ads for used LS-1
    Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:34pm
Hi - Hoping someone might be able to give me some info.

I've been wanting to purchase a Sailrite for sometime now and in the last 3 weeks have found 5 different ads on Craigslist for the LS-1. Prices start at $350 up to $500.

As I've been looking around for over a year and the only references I've read about used Sailrite machines is that you hardly ever find one, I'm concerned/confused about jumping in and buying one of these from a private individual.

I saw on the Homepage that the machines will be sold in a new package system as of this year but, other than that, does anyone have an idea about the influx of used Sailrites on Craigslist?
(Machines that "fell off the truck", imposters, I'm unusually lucky, etc.).

Also, any feedback on the +/-'s of purchasing used?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Edited by Starsonthars - 15 May 2016 at 11:35am
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2007 at 2:06pm
Hi Starsonthars:

Although I cannot comment on individual machines, I can give you a bit of information regarding what to look for.

Before this year, we sold the LS-1 machine in three grades:
     Classic    =     Good
     Base       =     Better
     Deluxe    =     Best

The Classic machine featured a grey 1/4" plywood instrument grade case, a pressure plate (friction) clutch to disengage the needle bar assembly when winding bobbins, a small metal balance wheel, a carbon pile foot control, and a one year warranty.  These units sold for $399 new.

The Base machine still used the grey case, but we upgraded the balance wheel to the plastic Power Plus Wheel that gives you 1/3 more power and is easier to control because it is 1/3 slower.  We added a GFCI to the foot control and changed the gib hook to a "scarfed" model that allows more room to make the loop on the bottom of the stitch.  Most importantly, we did away with the pressure plate clutch, replacing it with a superior "Posi-Pin" direct drive system.  The warranty period was increased to two years on this model.  These units sold for $579 new.

The Deluxe model kept all the improvements of the Base, but we changed the case to one with reinforced corners and a locking bar in the lid that allows you to store the machine on its side.  (This is now the only case that we sell).  We added a light, a parts kit with 40 needles, a seam ripper and a cleaning brush, and an electronic foot control with GFCI.  Most importantly, we upgraded the balance wheel to the 7 lb "Monster II" wheel.  This wheel has the same gear ratio as the "Power Plus", but the added inertia offered by this wheel means smoother sewing along with a hand cranking ability for very precise control around corners and in tight spots.  The Deluxe model also had a two year warranty and sold for $779.

There are a number of older models similar to the Deluxe, but if they are more than about 3 years old, they probably have the older pressure plate clutch.

Lastly, if it does not have a metal foil label  under the forward/ reverse switch saying "Sailrite ULTRAFEED model # LS-1", it is more than likey not our machine.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager

Starsonthars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsonthars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2007 at 5:19pm
Hello Dan,

Thank you for the in-depth information.

I think with all the changes that have been made, I would prefer to  purchase directly from Sailrite.

One thing I have read over and over again are  the raves about the  wonderful customer service Sailrite provides.

Could you or someone else with Sailrite recommend the right machine and accessories for me?

My needs:
A. Portability-no large industrial table. I just don't have the room. I would prefer this but space is limited.
B. This is not for production, just my personal needs.
C. I also would like whatever accessories that would assist for sewing Codura and Silnylon. 
D. Reliability!---the most important criteria.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Starsonthars - 15 May 2016 at 11:37am
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2007 at 5:32pm
Just call 1-800-348-2769 and we will be happy to process your order.  Although I'm partial to the LSZ-1 because of its zig-zag capability, you may find that the straight stitch LS-1 will work just fine.  The price difference between the two models is only $200.

The Monster II Wheel (604U) is THE most useful accessory that you can buy because of the extra control that it gives you.  Beyond that, I would recommend a 1" swing away binding machine (100103) and a swing gauge (100439) for straight and accurate hems.

Additional useful items include a kick stand (100990a) to hold the machine open when you need to get underneath (changing bobbins and the like) and a spare retaining ring cap spring (1603) just in case you ding that item with a bent needle.

We also have a good assortment of lights that are appropriate for use with Ultrafeeds.

Dan
NickfromWI View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickfromWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2007 at 9:19pm
I saw a few ads on craigslist in the weeks prior to my sailrite purchase.  I figured out that they were definately fakes.  They were nothing like anything on the sailrite website.  I eventually bought one straight from sailrite.  Great decision!

I have the zig zag and I highly recommend it.  I can't imagine NOT having zig-zag.  Even though I mostly do straight stitching, I am so greatful for the zig zag when I need it.

The monster II wheel wasn't good for me.  I found it to be HARDER to control.  Being so heavy, it had a lot of momentum.  When I let off the foot pedal, it would always do a few more stitches as it slowed down.  Matt at Sailrite hooked me up with a plastic version of the Monster II wheel and that was just perfect.  The needle stops when I let off the gas!  Clap

love
nick
I am using a LSZ-1 with a Monster Wheel. Deluxe foot control.

I'm a rope splicer! That's way easier than sewing ;)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic