Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLong term discoloration from adhesives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long term discoloration from adhesives
    Posted: 05 September 2011 at 10:23am
Years ago I'd read somewhere about using spray adhesive to hold a patch down and in place prior to sewing over it while repairing a sail but I think there was a warning that eventually the adhesive would darken and be visible. Is this true?
The other day I restitched an old sailrite kit sailcover that was well done but tired. I noticed there was a perfectly straight dark line about 3/8" right in the middle of the hem which I'm guessing is the adhesive from the old seamstick tape. Is it normal for this to become visible after several years? I've not seen it like that before on other projects but it immediately brought to mind the warning I'd read about the spray adhesive. The sailcover is old enough that the color on the inside out of the sun is now very different from the color on the exposed side. In fact it's the most color change I've ever seen in sunbrella from sunlight but I think we're a little closer to the sun here on the Texas coast. It certainly feels that way.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2011 at 9:02pm
Everything fades in time but Sunbrella comes as close as you can get to fade-proof fabric for harsh outdoor environments. Rubber based adhesives or hybrids can certainly yellow over time. The best "non-yellowing" products are acrylic adhesives. The negative to acrylic is that its initial sticking power is not as good as the rubber based type. Dark colors hardly ever show the yellow but natural and linens can after years of sun exposure. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 9:17am
For what it's worth, we recently bought a used older (white dacron) sail.  The sail is generally still in very good condition, but you can clearly see the yellowish lines of seam-stick tape that were used in construction.  However, given that this sail is at least 30 years old, and I have not noticed the issue on newer sails, I would call that a respectable performance for the tape, and, given the benefits of the tape, I will continue to use it! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic