Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lightweight fabric for a sun shade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltoricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight fabric for a sun shade?
    Posted: 03 August 2015 at 10:42am
Hi,

What would be a good fabric choice for a beach sun shade? It should be as light-weight and tightly packable as possible, and be available in multiple colors/patterns. What's the closet to ripstop nylon that has a decent UV resistance? 

Background: we'd like something we can take with us during air travel, and with the reduced luggage allowances these days, it's got to be light and small. 

Thanks!

Holger
eric@sailrite.com View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric@sailrite.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2015 at 1:45pm
Hi Holger,
I would pick Sunbrella Upholstery fabric for the best UV resistance fabric and one that would by light weight and pack easily. Ripstop nylon is not very UV resistant, but if it is a beach shade, it would only be in the direct sun for a short period of time. So Ripstop would be acceptable, but not my favorite choice. If you pick a Ripstop Nylon I would pick a 1.5oz or above maybe even the Ripstop with Urethane backing. 
Let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks,
Eric
Sailrite
Eric
saltoricco View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltoricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2015 at 6:05pm
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your thoughts. You have a good point: it's probably seeing just a fraction of sun compared to a cover, or awning. I'll give a Polyester ripstop a try. Still probably more UV resistent than Nylon. 

I forgot another thing we used on hang glider sails (also basically Polyester) with great success: 303 Aerospace Protectant. 

Time to sew! Thanks again!

Holger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic