Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLeech Repair Hem Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XCmtbJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leech Repair Hem Question
    Posted: 02 December 2011 at 5:43pm
Hello,

A friend of mine just gave me a used jib that was sitting around his shop, It is for a relatively small sail as it's for a Mutineer, which is a 15' long boat.

The sail was evidently furled and exposed to a lot of sun as the foot is faded with several tiny holes and the leech is missing 5-6 inches that ripped away and is gone.  The rest of the sail looks great. 

I bought Dan Neri's Sail Care and Repair book here, but haven't figured out exactly how I should go about repairing this sail.  I think it's worth saving and besides that it will make for some good practice for me and my LSZ-1. 

So here's my specific questions: 
I basically understand what I need to do for the foot as no material is missing, but I want to replace the missing leech dacron, what type of stich/joint should I use, is adhesive necessary? 
Alternatively, should I just replace the missing dacron with Sunbrella as if I were adding a sacrificial leech?  I downloaded the video to do this, but still have the same question about the type of joint to use as the Sunbrella would effectively be the last 5-6 inches of leech.

Thanks,
-Jason

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2011 at 5:49pm
A simple overlapping seam will work and use #659 basting tape to hold things together prior to sewing. You will need Dacron for the strength required. The Sunbrella is sacrificial and would need to be sewn on top as a protective cover. The other alternative is to use a UV treated Dacron and skip the Sunbrella. But it will be white. Here is a link to the UV Dacron:

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
XCmtbJason View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XCmtbJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2011 at 10:46am

Thanks Matt!  This is a perfect first sail repair project for me, relatively simple and straight forward.  The UV Dacron is a great suggestion, that's what I'll do.

-Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic