Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLeech line replacement.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leech line replacement.
    Posted: 15 December 2014 at 8:30am
I don't usually do sails, but have asked to replaced leech lines in two main sails.
In both cases I am told that the line is jamming ?
Looking at the binding covering  the line there are a couple of places where there has been some external chafing. I am in 2 minds as to replacing the entire length of binding or just patching up & renewing the line. 
Also is it ok to use the sail cloth on a roll precut to 100mm or would that be to heavy/stiff.
& can I use my regular V92 polyester antiwick thread for the job ?

Thanks

Suzi
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
Jeff Frank View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2014 at 9:22am
You should only need to patch the worn areas since there are only a few. Using a short 100mm wide tape and using V-92 would be fine. This does not resolve the 'jamming' issue you will need to investigate the leech to try and locate this problem. The most likely areas are at the battens, make sure there is enough space for the line to move freely in those areas. If you need to remove the old edge tape and replace it, the job will take much longer since this will involve unstitching the ends of the batten pockets and restitching them once the new edge tape and line are in place.

Best Regards,
Jeff
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2014 at 9:32am
Thanks Jeff, I had forgotten about the battens. 
I will go have a better look at the sails now. 

Suzi
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2014 at 9:35am
Hi Jeff, Just thought I would report back..
The sail is a inmast furler so no battens, having had a better look at the edge of the sail I decided to rip it all off, it was more worn that it looked at first & was suffering from UV damage. The only spots that looked like they could course the problem was one hole 3/4 way up ( possibly cross trees) & right down the bottom just above the exit for the leech line where the layers of sail are thick the line was pretty tight.
So I am hoping it was just that & friction.

Edge & line replaced hopefully trouble resolved.

Suzi 

Edited by suziQ - 30 December 2014 at 9:36am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic