Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLeather for Sail Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather for Sail Cover
    Posted: 14 January 2013 at 7:14am
I see in the Sail Cover Kits that "Leather (for chafe protection and reinforcement)" is provided, but I don't see any reference to it in the how-to videos, or chafe-protection leather found elsewhere on the site.  Where is it used and how much is provided with the 16' cover kit?  The cover I am replacing has leather around the lazyjack line openings so I will likely need additional leather, but I don't know how to find it on your site.  Thanks
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 7:52am
Hi,
There is 1 sq ft of leather in that kit. It is used for a topping lift sling slit if required. But it could certainly be used for chafe protection at the lazyjack openings as well. If you need more the part number is 28301. Here is the link to it online:

The video does not show installing the leather but the written instructions do.

Best Regards, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
amckenzie View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amckenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 5:09pm
I was planning on ordering the mail sail cover for 16' boom and I will be adding 4 lazy jack slits.  The kit mentions that I will need additional acrylic binding tape and more twist lock fasteners for each slit but they don't mention the additional leather.  I watched the video on making the lazy jack slit covers and I was wondering if 1' of cowhide is sufficient for the 4 slits?  If I make the lazy jack slit covers like the video I suspect that I don't need the additional binding tape but should order more sunbrella material instead.  Am I correct? 

You listed the "Materials Required per Lazy Jack slit" in the video but it would be helpful if there was a way to find it on your site to print out.  I had  planned on using the V-92 thread instead of the V-69 due to the sun exposure.  Why do you provide the V-69 in this kit and the V-92 in the "Sail Pack kit" and in the materials listed in the video for the lazy jacks?

Alice
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 8:26am
The kit will have plenty of scrap Sunbrella, so you don't need to order extra material (in the vast majority of cases). If you follow the version that our video shows you will not need binding. I would get 1 sq feet of leather as you suggest.

I agree that V-92 is a better choice than V-69 (so long as you have one of our machines or something else heavy enough to sew the 92 thread). At one time we had more customers using home machines so our legacy kits still have V-69 as the thread standard. I prefer V-92 in all cases where it is possible to sew the heavier thread.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by amckenzie amckenzie wrote:

I had  planned on using the V-92 thread instead of the V-69 due to the sun exposure.

Alice,

If you are really concerned about sun exposure, you might want to consider using V-92 Tenara or some other PTFE thread.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic