Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Design
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLeach roach & battens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipmate44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leach roach & battens
    Posted: 26 October 2012 at 3:37pm
Hi all from the UK.
Having read James Lowell Grants books on sail design , I have decided to have a go & make my own sails.
My boat is a 17ft  Daysailer with a steel swinging centre plate & Bemudan rigged.
Main sail dimensions are Luff 5.3 meters, Leach 5.7 meters & foot 2.3 meters.
This foot measuement would give me a batten length of 576 mm using Mr Grants formula of 12% of foot length + 300 mm.
My roach would therefor be between 190 mm to  288 mm.
However my origional sail ( which is over 35 years old ) has 762 mm battens which would give me a roach of between 251 mm & 381 mm.
The max roach on my old sail is approx 340 mm but it is so worn is difficult to make it set anywhere near well
I will probably be using 2.7 %  one tenth camber ratio unless advised diferently here
What  batten lenth would be most appropriate please as this also affects the leach roach sizing.
Many thanks
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 4:59pm
There is no right answer here. If you want a larger roach and there is no "class rule" restriction and there is no backstay in the way you can go large. You just don't want to go so large that the back edge becomes unsupported. But either of your examples are reasonable.
Best Regards, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
shipmate44 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipmate44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 5:18pm
Thanks Matt.
I'll probably go with something close to the origional sail.
I did forget to mention I was thinking of making it a loose footed sail rather than roped as it used to be , would this affect roach sizing ?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 8:03am
No, not of the leech edge.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic