Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedLarge resize?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgh1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large resize?
    Posted: 20 June 2015 at 6:04am
Hi there,
to have a good piece of sewing machine at home means possibility to make great things :-) like resizing sails.

What´s the best way to resize a sail if it´s way to large but at same time keep the profile/shape of the sail intact(almost). Sorry for the metrics.

P:14m and E:5,4m. If I want to resize it to fit my boat P:12,9 E:4,5.

And for a foresail. FL:13,0m LP: 5,9m -> FL: 11,2 LP: 5,2

Thanks for a great forum

/Per

Jeff Frank View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 10:32am
I would recommend keeping the tack the same and measure out along the foot for your new foot then up the luff for your new luff length. You will need to recut the leech, add reef patches back to correspond to the luff side, change batten pocket positions and/or lengths depending on the amount of roach you have for your new design.
Headsail measure up from the tack and mark your new luff length. Mark your LP line. Measure along the LP line from the luff your 5.2M that will be your new clew. recut the leech and foot--the leech must have a hollow about 1.5% to 1.7% of the edge length ie leech 11M X 0.015= .165M hollow. You are likely going to have enough extra material from cutting the sails down to use for patching and/or you may be able to use a complete patch assembly at a new location. Use v-92 thread with a size 20 needle.
     Cheers,
Jeff jefff@sailrite.com
pgh1973 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgh1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 4:45am
Thanks a lot for the answer. As a non-professional sail repairer, all I have is time. But instead of buying a brand new sail for 5000 $ it´s better to find a used one in mint condition for at least the half of it, and then remake it. It gives me a satisfaction feeling doing the hard work on my own.

But I think I start with ordering "sails designing making repairing books" from the webstore :-) I have to get a grip of all the numbers on the design of a sail, using the SailCut software -> if I change this numbers then this happens...

//Per
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic