Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is sail fabric the same as kite fabric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is sail fabric the same as kite fabric
    Posted: 09 October 2007 at 10:14pm
I have been told that you can repair a tear in a kite by simply using an adhesive and a patch. Is that true?
Or do i have to repair it the same way that a sail is repaired?
I'm looking to repair a rip in my kite andI was wondering if i could use the same materials as sold by your store.

thanks for your help

Stephan

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 9:25am
Hi Stephan:

You may use our 2" ripstop repair tape for repairs.  In the case of a kite, the main objective is to keep it light.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
stephk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 7:04pm
i would see that as working for a small 2-6 inch tear in the middle of the kite, but what about a large tear that goes from the trailing edge up towards the leading edge of a bladder kite? Let's say it was 20 inches long. Would tape be enough?

thanks

sk
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 7:21pm
I'd still use the tape, but I would secure it with V-30 thread in a zig-zag stitch.  The thread weight would be minimal.
stephk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 7:30pm
Does a glue exist that can replace the stitching?
I'm thinking of trying to fix it in the field, no sewing machines nearby. Would a rip stop glue work and what kind would i go for?

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2007 at 9:17pm
Use the 2" ripstop repair tape (#100089 in white for example) and you can rely on the adhesive alone to hold permanently after a short dwell time.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

stephk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:28pm
Thanks for your helps. One more question, Do you sell Rip stop nylon for repairing kites also? What weight would i use to repair a kite surfing type kite?

thanks

sk
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:34pm
Use 1.5 oz ripstop nylon. It will work perfectly.
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic