Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedInsignia Material

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marybateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insignia Material
    Posted: 09 July 2011 at 10:21am
I would like to put a graphic on a boat cover and was thinking about using the Insignia Material. Will it stick as well to Sunbrella or should I use something different? Or what else would work just as good, as I would prefer to do it in Orange. Thanks
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2011 at 11:01am
Hi Mary:

Insignia will work.  In fact, we used insignia on our sign on the store awning and it has held up well over six years.  I had to use a hair dryer on it initially to get the letters to stick better and almost got to the point of sewing down the edges of the letters, but did not do so.  The edges peeled back once or twice after high winds, but I just restuck them.

The only problem with 4oz. dacron insignia is that it is only available in red, white, blue and black.  You could use orange Sunbrella (4609-0000) or orange flag nylon (103048) but both fray easily and will require the edges to be heat sealed.  Apply the characters using 3M 77 Spray Adhesive (636) and sew down the edges.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 8:42am
Dan is correct about insignia working but it would be best to use Sunbrella with heat cut edges and then sew the graphic/letters down all along the perimeter with a small zigzag stitch. The 3M 77 stray is great to hold things in place prior to sewing.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Marybateman View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marybateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 12:12pm
What would the differnce be between the two, ie durability, look.....? I already ordered the insignia material, but could use it something else. Just want to do the best job. Thanks
Marybateman View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marybateman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 12:14pm
Oh also, what fabric works best for fender covers. West Marine sells some that 400 Denier Nylon, it doesn't look like you carry that. Do you have anything very similiar to that, cause I really like it.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 12:28pm
If you like the feel of the Nylon my suggestion would be to go with SurLast. It is a similar weave but made from Polyester which is more abrasion resistant.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 12:41pm
Insignia and/or Sunbrella will work fine for the graphic installation. The Sunbrella is acrylic so it will last longer in the sun and the color will hold longer. Insignia is Polyester and lighter. Both will look great but colored insignia will fade in 3 to 5 years. Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic