Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHow to sew Sunbrella Decorative Piping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertKWFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to sew Sunbrella Decorative Piping?
    Posted: 14 August 2013 at 9:17am
I just used Sunbrella Decorative Piping for a cushion for the first time, and it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I've had good results using vinyl piping in the past. The flange on the Sunbrella piping is 3/4", but I only used a 1/2" seam allowance on the plaques and boxing, leaving the cushion a bit too small. I think I should have cut the fabric with a 3/4" seam allowance. I also had trouble getting an even stitch along the piping using the stock foot on the LSZ-1. The sunbrella piping is thicker than what I am used to. Is there a special foot I should use or a particular technique that would improve my work? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 12:25pm
You are correct that if the flange is wider it will require changing the seam allowance. This is because you are no longer removing 1/2" all around during sewing, but instead 3/4" all around.

If the piping gets too large for the tunnel in the foot then you should skip the cording foot and use a zipper foot instead.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic