Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHow to choose needle size?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danlmetzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to choose needle size?
    Posted: 05 November 2008 at 9:59am
After getting comfortable with my new LSZ-1 I was asked to do a small home sewing task and I realized that I don't understand how to choose the appropriate sized needle for home sewing thread? 

Is there a size on the spool of thread and a chart somewhere that I need to reference for needle size or what is the theory?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Metzler
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 6:57pm
Hi Dan,
Use a #10 or a #12.

The rule is that the thread diameter should fill roughly 60% of the needle eye. The needle eye decreases in size as the needle size is decreased.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

NickfromWI View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickfromWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:38am
Thanks for this tip, Matt!

I typically will match the thread to the fabric/project, then there is a little chart in the manual that came with the machine that tells me what needle matches with that thread.

love
nick
I am using a LSZ-1 with a Monster Wheel. Deluxe foot control.

I'm a rope splicer! That's way easier than sewing ;)

pjitty View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 9:05am
So for a # 92 thread how do I determine which needle, My machine came with a # 23 needle and with the # 92 thread their seems to be plenty of room in the eye of the needle. Should I try smaller needles or is the # 23 needle OK for Sunbrella and Vinyl...

Joe D.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:31pm
I prefer a smaller needle so you are not making such a big hole (leak point). My preference is a #20 needle with V-92 thread. Here is a link to a chart to help in the future:

Click the link under "Related Resources"
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
pjitty View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 7:33am
Matt:

Thanks for the Chart. Great Forum, Great Info...

Joe D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic