Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHow do I Choose a Home Sewing Machine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2013 at 6:02am
If as Matt suggests you are interested in an older machine, a Vintage Machines forum might be a place to discuss machines. This is an active UK based forum:

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=135

I essentially started with a Pfaff 130, and although if was smooth and stitched a nice stitch, all it offered was zig zag and straight stitch. I almost never used the machine and sold it. Unless you and your wife compete for time on a machine, and you already have an LSZ, there are other features such as easy button holes that might be of interest.

Try sewing buttonholes on a computerized machine in google. Some machines have a buttonhole foot. Essentially you put the button in a slot on the foot, and the sewing machine sews an appropriate sized buttonhole.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2013 at 8:30pm
Try Phaff 130, Sailrite Yachtsman, Reads Sailmaker, or look for used Ultrafeeds for my best recommendations. Or if you could find a used Sailrite Sailmaker at a bargain price that would be fantastic. Good luck hunting.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
RonRock View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2013 at 9:09pm
Thanks Tejas. I knew I was asking a question out of the norm for this group. But I don't know where else to start. I will check out the pointers you suggest.

I fully agree that a huge number of stitches is not that impressive. I'd rather find a good soild dependable machine that has the functions that she will actually use.

I'll have a place to start my research, Thank You.
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2013 at 4:35pm
I don't do very much what I'd call domestic sewing. Of some of those projects -- cuffing jeans and making book packs and tote bags -- I've used my industrial machine. The only other domestic projects have been letting out the waist of dress pants, and I've used my wife's home sewing machine, a Janome purchased from Costco. She not infrequently prefers to use the industrial machine for some of her projects, but prefers her machine for light fabrics and for making button-holes, etc.

We selected a somewhat more expensive Janome with the relatively fewer basic built-in features versus a cheaper machine with a huge number of feature she'd never use.

In any case, unless you really know what you're buying, I'd avoid most machines made in China -- there are exceptions of course -- and favor machines made in Japan or Bernina which apparently still makes some machines in Switzerland but mostly in Thailand.

As for suggestions, a less targeted forum than Sailrite might be more productive, and you might want to be a bit more specific about objectives. I follow two forums more oriented to domestic sewing:

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/search.php?searchid=1649747&photoplog_searchinfo=1

Home sewing machines often list a huge number of stitches. I'd be more interested in usability -- space under the foot, space under the arm, flat-bed and pedestal capability ....
RonRock View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2013 at 12:59pm
My wife is jealous of my LSZ-1. Big smile So it is time to replace the old cheapie that I bought her 20-25 years ago. Neither of us know much about sewing machines other than the sky is the limit as far as cost. Would like to spend 3 - 400 on something if there is something in that price range. She just does repairs and some craft work. An occasional home project like a jacket or maybe a blanket or similar project. So don't need all of the bells and whistles, but would not mind some either.

Any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic