Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Miscellaneous Topics > General Miscellaneous Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHot knife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot knife
    Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:32pm
Hi, can you tell me if the hot knives you sell are more effective at cutting sunbrella fabric than a weller solder gun with a thin knife blade? It seems that I had to make several slow passes to cut through one layer of fabric. Is there a limit on the effective trigger time? Thanks John
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 2:34pm
Get the Edge Hotknife! It is a dream compared to any soldering gun. There is a limit to trigger time but if you cycle the trigger on/off every 20 seconds or so it works in a continuous manner without trouble. We love this knife.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 8:03am
Is the Edge an upgrade on the Engle Matt ?

Suzi
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 8:26am
Both are great products. I would say they are comparable products but the Edge is a lot less expensive since we have it made specifically for Sailrite in large quantities. Our buying power saves our customers who opt to purchase this knife over the original Engle product.

Differences:

Engle has a light, Edge does not.

Edge has a much longer power cord.

Edge comes as a complete package with cutting foot, case, and cutting blade

Engle is made in Germany and Edge is made in China

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 1:19pm
Cool, thanks Matt.

That longer cord is a great idea.

Suzi
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 7:58am
The hot knife is a VERY handy tool.

It provides a terrific cut on the Sunbrella fabric, sealing the edges, preventing fraying.

My house had a closet door w/ a full length mirror that I removed during remodelling. Now I use that mirror / door as a flat cutting surface.

Edited by wingless - 19 December 2017 at 12:48pm
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 12:57pm
BTW, the easy way to keep the cutting blade clean is using the brass toothbrush on a warm blade.

The residue is very tough when the blade is cool and is easy to remove when the blade is warm / hot.
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Rock Hall Canvas View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Hall Canvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 10:48am
Besides glass or a mirror, can anyone suggest any other hot knife cutting surface? One that does not shatter like glass.
Sowlady View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sowlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2013 at 7:54pm
We recently purchased the hot knife when the kit was on sale. Love, Love, Love it. Just be sure to use it in an open area or windows open, if you are doing a lot of cutting.  I have used it on webbing, sunbrella and rope. WONDERFUL!!  Heats up quickly. Fun tool to have.
Sowlady
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Sowlady Sowlady wrote:

We recently purchased the hot knife when the kit was on sale.

Just be sure to use it in an open area or windows open, if you are doing a lot of cutting.
When I use mine, I squeeze the trigger on and off so the blade stays hot, but there is almost no smoke.

Originally posted by Rock Hall Canvas Rock Hall Canvas wrote:

Besides glass or a mirror, can anyone suggest any other hot knife cutting surface? One that does not shatter like glass.
Another surface that is impervious to the hot blade and won't suck heat away is tempered glass.

The tempered glass is much safer than a cheapo mirror or plain glass. The tempered glass will still break w/ a strong impact, but the result is small squares of glass chunks, not long shards.
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic