Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHobie 16 Mainsail rip and repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76catsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hobie 16 Mainsail rip and repair
    Posted: 18 June 2007 at 9:23am

Just bought a 1976 Hobie from a guy who took good care of the body of this boat, but the sails were in need of repair.  The mainsail has a 4-inch horizontal rip halfway up and near, but not on, one of the batons. Also, the previous owner stored the sail in a place where mice were allowed to chew a 1" hole down towards the bottom of the sail.

I've been reading on the forum on how to repair a spinnaker, but not a Hobie mainsail.  What is the best way to repair this rip and patch up this hole?  Could I just place a telltale sticker over the mouse hole?

Thanks for the help! 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:09am
Hi,
To repair the rip you will need some dacron sail tape and seamstik. You will then cut a patch that is approximately 1" larger than the rip all the way around. Stick this patch down with the double sided adhesive tape (seamstik) and sew around the perimeter of the patch as well as the rip. You can do the same thing for the mouse hole. A Telltale sticker will work but the repair is less permanent. I will give you that it is a cleaver way to disguise the hole and if the spot is logical for a telltale position then I would go ahead and do it. Just make sure to put a patch on both sides of the sail when using the sticky back stuff for a hole repair.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite
76catsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76catsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 1:16pm
Do I use sail tape with or without adhesive?  And what kind of thread would you recommend I use?

Thanks again, Matt!

Linda C

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 1:22pm
Use tape without adhesive as it is heavier and stronger than the standard repair tape. This is why you need the double stick tape to hold the patch in position prior to sewing. Use V-69 Dacron (Poyester) thread. Thanks, Matt
76catsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76catsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:06pm
Matt, you have made my day!  Thanks for the support.  Thumbs%20Up
Vicenc View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicenc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2015 at 11:29am
Hi all,

I know it is kind of late to answer this threat now but it is never late if the outcome is good.

Back in 2007 there was not a product such as DrSails. I'm the Business Development Manager of Sailing Technologies Group R+D in the U.S. Market. We have designed the ultimate epoxy adhesive to fix sails both on board or on harbor. 

I'll be happy to share with you further information about this product. For the time being, please find below some key features of DrSails:

PERFORMANCE OF CURED MATERIAL (values with ">" determines substrate failure)

Shear Strength vs Substrate (Substrates cured for 7 days @ 23±2Celsius) 

Substrate         Typical Value
Single Overlap ISO 527-3:1996 N/mm^2 psi
Dacron®       >0.5 >72.5
Mylar® with Twaron® 1650         >0.2 >29.1
Tafetta® with Twaron®1650         >0.82 >118.9
and Carbon 800                 
NS 3Di® Kevlar®/Dyneema®
(80/20)            >0.99    >143.6

Cuben® Fiber Film         1.3/.../ 188.6

Volvo Ocean Race and Barcelona World Race teams choose DrSails to get them out of trouble should a sail is torn, ripped or detached.

All the best,

Vicenç

adolf25 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolf25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 11:13pm
Hey i am also late to reply. But it is interesting thread. I have heard that some cat sailing teachers say that when you flip over you should jump on the sail but don't land feet first. Hit the sail flat with your whole body. Fall on it like your falling laying down to distribute the pressure evenly. They say it wont damage your sail hardly any if done right and it kinda helps you from getting caught in the sheets. Just got to watch out for the harness hook when landing.
adolf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic