Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHelp w/ Cushion Internal Material Selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help w/ Cushion Internal Material Selection
    Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:52pm
A seat cushion in the cockpit required service and was disassembled for repair.

The primary problem was the thread on a seam failed, causing an opening to the cushion interior.

The secondary problems were that the interior top to bottom mesh retaining panels that are used to shape the cushion have failed in many locations, w/ the mesh tearing. The result is that the cushion is shaped by the foam, instead of having the desired shape that would exist if the mesh panels were constricting the cushion.

The cockpit cushion has curved seams that use this internal mesh. One internal mesh panel is 6" in from the front edge and follows the curve of that edge. The other two internal mesh panels go from the back edge to that curve 6" away from front edge, along a stylized curve matching curves on the other cockpit cushions.

This internal mesh needs to be strong and flexible.

What are the recommendations for this mesh? Is the 100299 Heavy-Duty Tramp Mesh the best choice?

Note, on my cushion, this internal mesh was all square and parallel to the seams and surfaces. They all suffered long tears along the fabric grid. Wouldn't this resist this tearing failure if the mesh was cut so the grid were 45° from all these edges, so a tear would not progress along the grid?

The bottom surface of the foam was glued to the cushion base board. I needed to cut away this glue when I disassembled the cushion for repair.

What are the glue recommendations for attaching the foam to the board? The internal cushion foam can / does get wet. Is the 3M General Trim Adhesive the best choice? Will that work on my 12 year old foam, w/ some shown adhering to the mesh?

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 11:00am
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 4:27pm
Here are some additional images of my disassembled seat cushion.

There are supposed to be top-to-bottom mesh supports along every foam-to-foam junction.

When I disassembled the cushion I needed to cut the glue bonding the foam to the board, for all panels except for the one remaining foam panel.

IMO, this looks like I will be able to get some more years off this upholstery once it is repaired.

Cushion Top Cover w/ Broken / Missing Mesh Supports

Close-Up of Cushion Top Cover

Foam Panels In-Position

Base Board w/ Most Glued Foam Panels Cut Off

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 11:05am
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2013 at 7:36am
I like the General Trim Adhesive for bonding foam to boards.

I think the tramp mesh might be too stiff for what you are doing. I suggest you look at Phifertex Plus as a good strong alternative.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 8:06am
Matt, great! Thanks for the information!

The Phifertex Plus, the 3M General Trim Adhesive and other material are on-order and will be on-hand on Thursday.
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 3:08am
The Phifertex Plus and the 3M General Trim Adhesive worked great!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Here are some images of the repaired cushion.

The Phifertex Plus was used for internal support, to shape the cushion. The prior material failed big time. The prior material ripped along the grid. This material is not as stiff, looks stronger and was cut on the bias, so a tear won't progress along the length.

The cushion was assembled w/ Monel staples. These are supposed to be the best for marine applications.

Cutting Phifertex Plus Internal Support Panel on Bias

Sewing Phifertex Plus Internal Support Panel

Internal Support Panels Cut for Flexibility

Internal Support Panels Stapled to Board

Foam Sprayed w/ Adhesive

Cushion Repair Completed

Cushion Bottom Repair Completed

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 11:11am
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB