Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! sewing leach line back into leach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveC426913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! sewing leach line back into leach
    Posted: 23 June 2012 at 7:31pm
The storm took my furled genoa and split the leach up about 20 feet. It's more complicated than I thought to sew it back together.

Here is a photo and a cross-sectional diagram of my leach.

There are a total of six layers.
  • Furling canvas (blue) is bonded to a layer of light canvas or tape. (It is marked by the silver paperlcip)
  • Then there's one layer of light canvas/tape, which is frayed as if torn along its length. (green paperclip)
  • Then there's a second layer of light canvas/tape; this one has a clean edge, as if manufactured that way - no tearing. (pink paperclip)
  • Finally, there's a layer of canvas/tape bonded to the sail canvas itself. (blue paperclip)
All of these protrude the same amount - about 1/2" - from the stitching. This mean I can't really tell which ones are meant to wrap around the leach line.

I'm going to go out and buy a roll of sail tape (I think you get it with a crease along its length, yes?) but I don't know what I'm sewing together.

1] Which pair do I slip the leach line inside of?
2] Which pair or pairs do I sew together?
3] Is this too big a job for an amateur? I wouldn't want my sail to take off next time I get a gust...
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 5:06pm
This layering makes me think the sail has one layer of sacrificial suncover material which was replaced (covered) in the past. It is not problem if it does. Basically the leech line can go inbetween any of the layers so long as it does not come out. But I think you might want to undo some stitching further up the sail to make sure the line is between the proper layers according to the rest of the sail edge. Otherwise the line will create an odd crease at a transition point somewhere along the leech.

To repair the edge use a dacron tape and fold it in half lengthwise. One side should be wedged between the canvas blue suncover and the first layer of Dacron sailcloth. Then the free leg wraps around the rest of the "mess" and onto the back side of the sail where it is sewn. You will then need to sew a straight stitch right along the back edge of the sail to hold everything back together again. And ofcourse the inner edge must be secured with a stitch running through the entire assembly all along the leech.

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
DaveC426913 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveC426913 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 10:52pm
Thanks for your help. So, to be clear, I need to sew along both sides of the leach line. Along the outer edge and on the inside of it.

Do I need to concern myself with the kind of stitch?

Am I to gather from your comments that this is not a load-sensitive bond? i.e. if it isn;t professional-grade I won't one gusty day find my genoa wrapped around someone else's rigging?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 9:29am
Yes, sew along both sides. I would just use a straight stitch in both locations (longest possible). Correct, the layering here is not original design. The norm would be to have the leech sail edge capped with a leech tape and then the sacrificial cover sewn to one side. so total thickness (outside of patching areas) would be 3 layers of Dacron and then the sacrificial material.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic