Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHeavy Duty Sail Repair; Too Thick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Duty Sail Repair; Too Thick?
    Posted: 14 January 2017 at 12:08pm
I've had my LSZ-1 for 10 years, and have made my bimini, dodger, and lots of other projects with sunbrella, with much success.  I love my LSZ-1.  I'm new to sail repair, and was trying to use my LSZ-1 to replace webbing at the clew of my 150% genoa for my Cape Dory 33.  The sail is about 10 years old.  I was using V-138 with a #20 needle, and although the material barely fit under the presser foot, it proved too much for my machine.  I broke the needle right away.

Can I assume that the LSZ-1 can sew anything that fits under the presser foot?  It's clear that sailing multiple layers of old dacron is much more demanding than the same thickness of sunbrella or other acrylic fabrics.  What's the best needle and thread combination for heavy duty sail repair on my LSZ-1?  Any other tips?  Or am I expecting too much from my machine?

Incidentally, I "hang out" at our local sailmaker when I have the chance, and he let me use his Adler to make my repair, and it was a piece of cake - but of courses, this machine is in a different league.  
Jim
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2017 at 8:40am
Hello Jim,

The problem is the general purpose needles are too flimsy to sew thick/dense applications like corner of your genoa. The Ultrafeed is fully capable of this project and following the below list will enable you to successfully repair your sail in the future. 
1. Use a 135x17 SD1 #22 needle
2. Use V-92 thread
3. Tighten your pressure foot tension knob nearly all the way down to help feed the application
4. Sew slowly
If you still have problems please reach out to us! 
Zach Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic