Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedHammock Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickfromWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammock Cover
    Posted: 12 May 2006 at 11:13pm
I am prepping to make a cover for a hammock.  The hammock is called the Tree Boat and I use it 50'-250' up in the trees.  You can see it at www.newtribe.com if you'd like.

Anyways, New Tribe sells a rain cover for the tree boat, but it's quite heavy.  http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_50&products_id=122&osCsid=afc8f60987b5018c67e577e4307858da
  I am trying to make an ultralight cover that can be carried long distances.

What material should I use?  It HAS to be waterproof, lightweight, easy to sew, and moderately strong.  Durability is not of the UTMOST concer...but it's gotta be a little strong.

There is a mesh bug cover that goes over the tree boat.  You can see it if you click on http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_50&products_id=120&osCsid=afc8f60987b5018c67e577e4307858da
 Basically, the cover would just drape over the mesh and maybe have some snaps somewhere, or some vecro to keep it attached.

Any tips?

love
nick

Edited by NickfromWI - 12 May 2006 at 11:15pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:13pm
Hi Nick,
The Stamoid 8.3 oz would work but it might be too heavy for your requirements. What you really want is a coated nylon fabric. Sailrite does not have this fabric but it may be available at a fabric store.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic