Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedGrommets in Thick Fabrics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grommets in Thick Fabrics
    Posted: 04 October 2008 at 4:50pm
My first project with my new LSZ1 is weather cloths. I have ordered from Sailrite the bronze spur grommets, size #2, for attaching the cloths to the railings. The hem thickness is 3 layers of Sunbrella (a double fold). At the corners that means a thickness of 6 layers of Sunbrella. It is clear that at the corners the spurs are not long enough to enter the rolled rim of the male part of the grommet. Should I worry about this? Is there a grommet available with longer spurs to pass through more layers of cloth? I have tried installing a grommet at one of the corners and it appears to be fairly solid, but on the other hand the corner grommets will be subject to the most stress.

Advice will be appreciated.

Alan
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 5:27pm
Hi Alan:

The grommets will work just fine through six layers of Sunbrella.

I would consider a strategy of cutting away a portion of the folded over edges on one side so that you are working with four layers as opposed to six.  Alternatively, you can cut the corners at a 45 degree angle prior to folding.  The project will look neater and more professional when you are finished and it will be a tad easier to sew the corners.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager.
Ashap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 12:34am
Thanks for the advice Dan. As I have already cut and sewn the panels I think I will just install the grommets through the six layers of material.

Alan
WalkingStaff View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 9:35pm
Could you perhaps post a diagram of how to cut the corners?  I'm having trouble visualizing.  Or if this is the 'mitered' corner idea, would you point me to the best set of instructions on that?  I find various versions on the web.  I too am doing some weather cloths and I thought it might be be interesting to try to make them look more professional.
Thanks, Pete
( by the way, my LSZ-1 does six layers without a hiccup so that's not a problem Smile )

Edited by WalkingStaff - 07 January 2010 at 9:37pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 8:35am
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
WalkingStaff View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 5:09pm
Thanks Matt:  Well, I've done it and they do come out nice looking ( although the double hem part was tricky to work into the mitre )  But on looking at it and the regular way I think that the extra material in the corners might be better for weather cloths from a strength standpoint so I think I'll just do them all that way.  I notice that Jim commented on cutting corners  to get rid of extra material 'if you wanted' in his canvas book but didn't give any details so I guess maybe I'll try experimenting with that also  on some practice stuff before I do my stern pulpit cloths.
Again, Thanks!
Pete
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2010 at 11:26pm
Either way I think everything will work out fine. Just make sure you have at least three layers anywhere that grommets will be installed.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic