Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedGluing SurLast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gluing SurLast
    Posted: 04 October 2016 at 3:46pm
We are storing the boat under one of those RV enclosures this year - the kind with the metal tubing frame with a reinforced vinyl skin.  Our bowsprit is just a little too long for the enclosure and will touch the end.  In addition to padding the bowsprit, I wanted to put an abrasion patch on the vinyl material, and thought SurLast (of which I have many scraps) would be a good choice.  The question is:  Can I glue it to the vinyl fabric, or do I have to sew it?  I don't want to weaken the vinyl with needle holes if possible.  If gluing is an option, any recommendations for adhesive?
Thanks!

-Sue
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 11:56am
Hi Sue,

The best approach is to sew it. Sorry for the delay in answering. My team and I just got back from the Annapolis Boat Show.

Best Regards,
Matt
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2016 at 9:34am
Thanks Matt - hope the boat show was a success!  Someday I'll make it there.

Anyway, I went ahead and glued it with 3M 77 spray adhesive.  Seems to hold okay... will let you know in spring!  I figured if it falls off, I could sew it later.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic