Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedGenoa UV Protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynot Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genoa UV Protection
    Posted: 06 December 2010 at 4:18pm
Hi Matt / Dan
I have 2 roller furling genoas that need new uv protection.
One is from a Tanzer 22 and the other from a Mirage 28.
They will be different colours (different owners)
How much material should I order for each?
Is Sunbrella the ideal material?
Do I need to order uv protected dacron tape for the foot and leech?
Looking forward to your pearls of wisdom.
Tony
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 4:28pm
Hi Tony:

Your choices of material are Sunbrella and adhesive backed 4oz Insignia (available in black, white, red and blue.  The Insignia is easier to use and it is a bit better aerodynamically, but it is not quite as good in the sun.  Still, you should get four or five years out of it.  As both boats are somewhat small (by Annapolis standards) and light, I would opt for the Insignia, but Sunbrella will also work.  Older, more worn sails tend to benefit from the extra support provided by Insignia.

Measure the length around the furled sail and add about 3".  That will give you the width of the UV cover.  Add the length of the leach and the foot and you have your yardage requirements.  Please note that the foot may not need as wide a strip because less sail is exposed when it is furled.  Adjust accordingly.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 4:33pm
Sailrite has kits for both Sunbrella and UV insignia sacrificial covers based upon the length of the leech and the foot. Here is a link to those items:

I would get the kits which include everything you need. For the type with UV insignia (white only) we send the UV Dacron edge tapes. For the Sunbrella we assume the edge will be wrapped with the Sunbrella.

Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Ynot Sailing View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ynot Sailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 4:56pm
Thanks Dan and Matt
You guys are so quick I almost had my answer before posting the question LOL
Mat  what is included in the kits?
Thanks
Tony
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 4:59pm
Here is one example:
40' Sunbrella kit

102688 Pick a 46" Wide Sunbrella Color Pick a 46" Wide Sunbrella Color 4.5 Yds
636 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive 1 EA
20203 Thread V-69 White Polyester UV 1oz (350 Yds) Thread V-69 White Polyester UV 1oz (350 Yds) 1 EA
659 Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape (60 Yds) Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape (60 Yds) 1 EA
454100 Instructions Instructions 1 EA
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 5:00pm
Here is one for UV insignia (30 foot kit)

721 Insignia Adhesive Backed UV Dacron 10" Insignia Adhesive Backed UV Dacron 10" 11 Yds
102566 Tape UV Dacron White 2" Tape UV Dacron White 2" 31 FT
20203 Thread V-69 White Polyester UV 1oz (350 Yds) Thread V-69 White Polyester UV 1oz (350 Yds) 1 EA
659 Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape (60 Yds) Seamstick 3/8" Basting Tape (60 Yds) 1 EA
454100 Instructions Instructions 1 EA
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
lszinspain View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lszinspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 3:21pm
Hello,

I've read the posts on material choices for a UV strips and I am wondering if I can use Sunbrella plus?
I live in Spain  and  have a local source for this material. The non coated Sunbrella I would have to special order. Would there be a problem to use the one side coated version for my UV strip? If not I suspect that I would put the coated side down or in my case sewn to the sail.

any feedback would be great,

regards,
Shane Kelly
SK in Spain
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 3:39pm
I don't see any reason that it will not work. Coated side should go down. The only drawback is that the material will be a bit heavier.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
lszinspain View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lszinspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 1:01pm
Hello Matt,
I am installing a UV strip on my vertical cut genoa. I have read that it is best to bias cut the strip material. Does  having a vertical-cut headsail vs. say a cross-cut sail change this angle? I believe the idea is to have the UV strip be able to stretch easier in the direction of the warp of the sailcloth so that it doesn´t strain the UV strip stitching.  Can you shed some light on this please?

regards,
Shane Kelly

SK in Spain
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 1:09pm
It is not necessary to bias cut. The fact is that almost all UV cover materials have more inherent stretch than sailcloth does anyway.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic