Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedFurling jib to hank on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furling jib to hank on
    Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:35pm
I have an old sail that was originally built as a furling jib complete with foam luff and sunbrella. It's a good sail in good shape but the boat its on has a bare forestay so it needs to be converted to hanks. The luff is not finished under the luff tape in any way. I know how to apply the hanks but I'm concerned about reinforcing the luff. Is a tabling of 6oz sufficient or do I need line sewn into it? This is a 120 off a 30ish boat. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 1:05pm
It would be best to have a rope in the lugg edge of the sail. But in a pinch you could use two layers of edge tabling material. The only issue would be that you will not benefit from the elastic nature of the rope which helps to keep the sail from scalloping between the slugs. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic