Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fasteners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fasteners
    Posted: 17 August 2015 at 11:30am

What is the best way or is there a trick to be able to mark where a twist fastener eyelet is to placed on an enclosure panel so it mates up with the twist portion that is already attached to the combing?  Also if there are multiable eyelets to be installed on the panel, is it better to install one and then the next and so on or can they all be marked and then be install at once? 

sailor420
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 3:20pm
Without a really expensive setting tool it is almost necessary to mark them all first and then remove and install all at once. We generally mark the top of the twist stud as carefully as possible from the top. But I agree there must be a better way. Does anyone else out there have a better approach?
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2015 at 12:58pm
The method I used for locating the snap position on my canvas to align w/ the snap screwed to the boat was to apply pencil graphite to the top of the fastener attached to the boat, stretch the canvas, hovering above the snap, then press hard onto the snap, leaving a pencil mark on the canvas, showing the desired spot for the snap.

That could work for this application.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2015 at 3:49pm
I've used a similar method to the one described by wingless for snaps, which I assume would also work with twist locks.  Marking the center will be the trick, since it's not a nice shape like a snap stud.  Perhaps you could mark a perpendicular line on the outside of the cover at the center, and transfer it to the inside later. I used a yellow marking pencil instead of a lead pencil - better for darker fabrics.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic