Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedfabric for military canopy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fabric for military canopy
    Posted: 05 February 2009 at 1:24pm
I am looking for a fairly opaque but lightweight fabric to make a huge canopy (about 20 ft x 30 ft)  over a metal frame for a military operation. It needs to be black and pretty much block out light preventing glare on some computer screens below.   Does your ripstop nylon that is "coated for zero porosity" fit that catagory?  Is it fairly strong? Can you suggest anything else?  I was also looking at your nylon bag cloth, but don't see black. Can you get that in black?  Thank you, Jane
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2009 at 3:48pm
Hi Jane:

1.5oz ripstop nylon certainly meets your requirement for a light weight enclosure, but I have concerns in other areas.  First, nylon does not hold up that well in prolonged sunlight.  Secondly, it tends to rattle with any amount of wind.  You could go to 4oz flag nylon, but it will not hold up well and it frays easily.

If I were doing the job, I would choose 8oz Surlast from Glen Raven.   It is a solution dyed polyster that both holds up well to sun and has good abrasion resistence.  The latter is very impoortant if you fold up the structure to store it often.

All of these fabrics will let pinholes of sunlight through, but they are more than satisfactory for viewing CRTs.  Of all, the Surlast is the most opaque.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Sailrite Store Manager
Jane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 5:10pm
Dan, I am not sure this canopy will ever be taken down or be in sunlight. This structure sits 20 feet off the ground and will most likely be stored in a warehouse.  The opaque material will block out lights from overhead.

How does Surlast compare with Marine Grade Sunbrella?  I am familar with and have used your Sunbrella for similar projects in the past.  I was just hoping to find something a little lighter and that would not crease when folded, as I am going to have to fold and roll it to even work on it because of it's size.  Jane
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2009 at 5:17pm
Surlast is closer to 7oz as opposed to the 8oz advertised.  Sunbrella is 9.5oz.  Additionally, the Surlast is far less likely to hold creases when folded than Sunbrella.  I think that it is your best choice for this project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic