Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedFabric for Awning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 106degrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fabric for Awning
    Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:31pm
I am planning to purchase a kit to make a sun awning for a 30 foot sailboat but can't seem to decide which fabric to use.  Awning will be 9 x 10 with 18" sides/flaps (this will be an awning up over the boom area, already have a bim over the cockpit).  Main concern is HEAT, not worried at all about rain.  Awning will not be up year round--probably up for an entire weekend about 20 weekends a year in very high heat.   Winds expected to be very light, but maybe an occasional 15 breeze.  Was thinking it should be white or very light color to reflect the heat.  Also, another consideration is weight/storage.  Prefer something that is not super heavy to fold up and put away as the plan would be to take it down for night sailing after leaving awning up for the day to keep the boat cooler and then put it back up at anchor later.

Suggestions on fabric?  Any other comments/thoughts?  Appreciate it!

Edited by 106degrees - 10 July 2007 at 2:31pm
rcknight View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 7:49pm
Look at this idea.  http://www.intheshd.com/.  This thing can ride out quite a breeze.  One great advantage is that you can walk under it due to the covered wagon shape.  It doesn't need a halyard to support it.  You can get the tent poles at Walmart or at  a sporting goods store.  It rides on the life lines.  It basically just needs to be tied off fore and aft.  I'd build it out a light colored, polyester cover fabric
Robert
Robert

"Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" John Wayne
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 5:24pm
My recommendation would be for either Sur Last or Odyssey III fabric. Both of these are polyester and fairly light compared to Sunbrella.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

106degrees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 106degrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 12:24pm

Thanks guys!  That was the conclusion I had come up with...to use the Surlast.  And I'm thinking about Phifertex for the detachable and/or roll down sides to get a little breeze pass through.

Robert--I had tried something like the ST design myself last summer using PVC pipes to simulate and see how it would work.  Nice if you want to cover boat while not there or maybe if your boat is larger...however, if you do a more "flat top" awning (with roll down sides) then you can stand up under it more easily, especially along the sides of the boat--I've got small kids and they run around all over the boat.  And when sun is directly overhead you can then roll up and/or remove the sides and have a little more open feel.  Anyway, that's what I'm thinking!

Edited by 106degrees - 12 July 2007 at 12:26pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:51am
Phifertex for side panels is the way to go. Or if you want a softer and more pliable material for the sides you might look at Sunbrella's new Shade cloth (www.sailrite.com and search on Sunbrella Shade). Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

106degrees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 106degrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2007 at 10:44am

Thought I would report back for the benefit of future viewers.  Used the Surlast and it was perfect.  Nice lightweight fabric, but very tough and blocks UV.  Folds up nice and small, much less bluky than Sunbrella.  Super easy to sew, even using my home sewing machine.  I'm making the sides out of Sunbrella shade which is also a nice product for this application--you get some UV through but you can see better out the sides.

Used the Sailrite awning kit.  Was very pleased with instructions and supplies.  I am often hesitant to order kits because you often don't get the "value."  However, was happy to find that there was more than ample thread and other supplies to complete the project. 

Fabric Awning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabric Awning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 3:56pm
I would recommend checking out Fabric Awning Company. They do awesome custom projects. They are my recommendation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic