Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedFabric Choice for Seat Covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fabric Choice for Seat Covers
    Posted: 10 March 2014 at 9:40am
Hi all:
What would be a good choice of fabric to make some loose fitting, pullover, waterproof covers for these bucket seats I just installed in my ORV. They'll be exposed to the Everglades elements and will get lots of sun, rained on, muddy and then hosed down. I'm not looking for cushy or pretty. Just durable and waterproof. I'm also wondering if the entire cover should be waterproof or if maybe the backs should be of a breathable fabric. The bottoms will be open but I'm not sure if that will be enough for adequate ventilation.
For when not in use I plan to make an additional single tent like cover out of breathable Sunbrella and I have that one figured out but I'm not sure which fabric would work best for the two individual covers that we'll actually sit on.

Thanks for any input. John N.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:08am
Hi John,
Sounds like an interesting project. I think I would use Stamoid 12.7 oz for the seat covers. Use an anti-wick thread to minimize needle hole water leaks. If you want the backs to be breatheable you could use Sunbrella Marine for that surface.  
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Steamer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 11:33am
Thanks Matt,
Sounds good. Stamoid it is and order just placed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic