Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosure zipper question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jkislingbury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enclosure zipper question
    Posted: 10 October 2017 at 4:08am
I just finished my first Bimini after watching your video and it turned out better then I could've imagine. I ordered all the enclosure material for the flybridge and will be starting on that this weekend.

The question I have is related to the front and rear enclosure panels. The Bimini is 10ft wide and the previous enclosure was secured with DOT fasteners with 3 separate window panels. I would like to keep the same configuration but use zippers instead of fasteners.   Since I want to be able to remove the panels individually, I purchased three zippers, 36" and (2) 48" per front and aft. I plan on using the 36" for the center panel and the 48" trimmed down to 42" (120"). Can you think of any uses I might run into using separate zippers compared to using one continuous zipper?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:58am
This approach works fine but you will have gaps at the corners where the zippers come together. You may need to devise a velcro closure in such areas to keep the weather out. Being able to remove panels completely is very nice. You might consider using Evolution fabric as a liner when you roll and store panels to protect them.

http://www.sailrite.com/Evolution-Block-It-Grey-55-Fabric

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic