Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Miscellaneous Topics > General Miscellaneous Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedEdge Hot Knife

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jknight611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edge Hot Knife
    Posted: 14 September 2016 at 1:09pm
I have watched a bunch of Sailrite's excellent videos, learning a lot! One common thread on the Edge hot knife I wonder about is the requirement to have a backer plate to cut on. On my kit, it came with a foot, I installed the foot, It eliminates the need for the backer plate. Am I missing something? The little foot seems to work great, yet the videos don't mention them.
Any reason I haven't found on the proper use of the Edge hot knife?

Thanks again for the awesome support!

Jay
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 1:06pm
Hello Jay,

The only reason we choose not to use the Cutting Foot (I assume this is what you are referring to, if not please let me know) is because it makes cutting curves and edges harder. There isn't as much free reign of movement with the blade; allowing for more subtle cuts to be made with the tip of the of the blade for example. The Cutting Foot was designed for cutting straight edges.
Zach Grant
Sailrite
Jknight611 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jknight611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 7:11pm
Thanks Zach, I only have used my Edge for straight cuts, cushions, sail covers, stuff like that. The foot has been a big help. Soon I will "graduate " and start a dodger for my Pacific Seacraft Orion, good to know when I get to curves to remove the foot!

Thanks
Jay
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 3:39pm
When I'm using mine I have an old hollow core closet door w/ a full length mirror glued to the surface that works great for the hot knife. Any residue cleans up w/ Windex and a paper towel.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic