Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Design
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedDrifter / light air genoa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drifter / light air genoa
    Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:54am

Hello All,

I am toying with the idea of building a 150% light air genoa / drifter for our Sabre 30-1 hull #18.  I would like to use the sail in winds 6 to 8 knots max.  I want to use the sail for upwind work as we already have an asymmetrical spin for downwind.

Could this sail be made out of nylon and what would the suggested weight be?  The sail would need to be raised on our existing forestay sail track.  I am new to sail building so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Christopher

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:38pm
Hi Christopher,
I suggest that you call in and talk with Jeff Frank here at Sailrite. He can give you the best suggestions. But I would think that a 1.5 oz Ripstop Nylon would work great. I would build a Bi-Radial cut for additional strength. Jeff can quote the sail for you as well.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite
800-348-2769
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
cercole View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:30pm
Hi Matt,
Thanks I'll give a call later this week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic