Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedDodger and sewing shrinkage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 12:53pm
Okay, continuing on with this project. 

Made patterns. Cut pieces. Decided to sew the aft zipper piece first because it is a smaller piece... and glad that I did.  I made the two cut-outs for the straps as shown (reinforcement, turned inside out, and topstitched.)  Looked nice!  When I laid it back on the top piece, the cut-outs are now a half inch closet together than they should be, and the overall panel is shorter relative to the marks on the top piece (before hemming or sewing on zipper). 

Darn it!  This is driving me mad.  I could re-cut this and allow for 1/2 inch shrinkage, but it does not solve my fundamental problem.  More importantly, I shudder to think about what will happen adding the facing to the front using the same method, if two tiny little cut outs lost me a half inch.

Any advice?  I'm about desperate, here. I've cut out all my pieces.  Have enough fabric to re-cut a zipper panel, but not a front panel.

-Sue

More:  I just cut 60" x 3" strips of Sunbrella and sewed hems and seams.  Shrinkage = nearly nothing. This raises the question:  How much effect is sewing along warp or weft?  Samples were cut across the roll.  All my long pieces are typically cut along the roll.

Edited by Sue2 - 14 April 2016 at 1:23pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2016 at 8:05pm
Hi Sue,
We agree that shrinkage occurs from sewing Sunbrella. This is normal. But in all my projects this issue does not matter much in the end especially when fitting canvas to a fixed frame. You will likely find notches and seams off by 1/4" to 1/2" but such inconsistencies generally don't adversely impact the whole project.

If you are an absolute perfectionist you might try adding an allowance and then trimming to pattern post sewing.

Sewing warp or fill is not a standard consideration to reduce shrinkage.

Can you email a photo of the frame to matt@sailrite.com so I can see the project scope.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 8:33am
Thanks, Matt.  Maybe I am trying to be too perfect, but having never done a dodger before, I'm nervous about it not fitting!  Boat is still in winter storage, but will take a photo soon.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic