Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy chaps chafe protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy chaps chafe protection
    Posted: 04 November 2015 at 9:50am
I am in the process of developing my dinghy chaps pattern.  I would like to put heavyweight chafe protection around the rub rail and on the bow.  What would be the recommended vinyl-esque material for this? I was thinking Shelter Rite, but I wanted the most robust protection possible, and I am unfamiliar with many of the vinyls that you carry.

Thanks so much,

Beth
s/v Kestrel
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 10:18am
Hello bwhitney,

I would recommend Shelter-Rite as it is an affordable fabric designed specifically for chafe protection. Alternatively, Stamoid 12.7oz is a step up from Shelter-Rite as it will last longer overall while still providing the same protective properties to a larger extent.

Please note - The reason I recommend Shelter-Rite is because it is more cost effective. If you are interested in quality over price, Stamoid is the better route.

Best Regards,

Edited by Zach - 04 November 2015 at 10:44am
Zach Grant
Sailrite
bwhitney View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 10:47am
Thanks so much, Zach.  Do you have a recommendation on the Stamoid weight for this application?
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 11:06am
I was talking with the guys and there is dissension on which would be better. Since you are mainly concerned about chafe protection the consensus was to use Shelter-Rite, if you were more concerned about UV degradation then Stamoid 12.7 oz is what you want. 
Zach Grant
Sailrite
bwhitney View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhitney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2015 at 11:07am
Excellent information.  Thanks for the follow-up!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic