Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCutdown 135% genoa to 110%

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Licorice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutdown 135% genoa to 110%
    Posted: 05 December 2014 at 2:16pm
I have an older 135% Dacron Genoa for my boat - C&C 26.
I'd like to do a little experimenting with sailing characteristics by cutting it down to around 110%.
With the sail at 110% I could sheet inside the shrouds and hopefully gain pointing ability; reduce heeling; eliminate/reduce mainsail luffing.

To do this I suspect it's a complete recut with broadseaming changes. Am I right or is there a simpler way. If it's a complete recut, it's probably not worth the effort and I'd probably start considering a new sail. But if it's doable, I'd like to check out the sailing characteristics before throwing money at a new Kevlar sail.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
sam :-)

Edited by Licorice - 06 December 2014 at 11:00pm
Jeff Frank View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 11:10am
The best way would be to cut a parallel line to the luff 2'9" back and cut that part of the sail off, rebuild the head and tack patch, luff and luff hardware. This will lower the CE of the sail and flatten the sail at the same time. You may contact me directly jefff@sailrite.com .

Best Regards,
Jeff Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic