Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCushion Strategy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cushion Strategy
    Posted: 21 October 2008 at 10:33pm
My first project with my new LSZ-1, weather cloths for my boat, was very successful and I am now ready to go on to making cockpit cushions.

I shall be making basic box style cushions with welting around the edges. My question is this:

Should the plate, welting, and boxing be sewn together in one stitching, or should it be done in two steps, first sewing the welting to the plate and then sewing the boxing to the assembled welting/plate?

Incidentally, is there a difference between "welting" and "piping"?

Thanks.

Alan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 8:27am
Hi Alan,
If you are really good you can do it all at once. I always sew the welt to the plate and then attach the boxing in a second process myself.

To my knowledge welt and piping are the same thing. I use the terms interchangeably. I would guess that if you looked into it the one refers to the actual cord and the other is the full assembly (with cover).

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

vincek View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2008 at 11:18am
Check out that Automotive Upholstery Handbook by Taylor.  He gives some great detail on cushion making.  Sailrite carries it as well as other book sellers.

He does it like Matt says, sewing the piping to the plate first.

He makes a real point of making sure you "let" (notch) the corners so that it does not curl up from the tension in the fabric.  He really harps on the plate laying nice and flat when you're done sewing the welt.

He also gives a lot of good detail on how to deal with joining & finishing the two ends of the welting.

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic