Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Covering large light boards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elbarcolutra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covering large light boards
    Posted: 01 October 2017 at 4:27pm
Hi--
We have large light boards on our boat (42" long and about 18" high).  I'm patterning to make a cover, which will basically be a flat back, two curved (think ogees) ends, an open bottom, and material connecting the 2 ends.  The fore end is not as tall as the aft end, so I need to add a dart (I have photos, but the link does not let me upload, and they're not on a public site; sorry, because this is much clearer with a photo).  I'm going to use a stiffener on the fore end so I am using a combo of cardboard and plastic patterning material.  I'm tempted to sew together everything but the piece that goes between the 2 ends (the one that will need the dart), and pattern that piece at that time, after I have created the pocket for the stiffener, etc.  Does this seem like a good plan?  Thoughts?
Thanks   
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 10:38pm
I think I will need the photo to understand what you have in mind. Can you email matt@sailrite.com?

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 10:38pm
Yes, you have the right idea. And a dart will work. Or you could use fiberglass reinforced strapping tape to create a separation point for your larger pattern piece. Basically you put the tape taughtly between the two ends at the lower part of the top of the ends. Use the tape as a reference for the seam which basically creates a more elegant way to provide an alternative to a dart.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic