Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCorner Patches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soñadora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corner Patches
    Posted: 04 February 2015 at 2:08am
I am sewing the corner patches for my roller furling headsails (yankee and staysail). After finishing construction of the clew on my staysail per printed instructions and the video "Constructing a Roller Furling Jib or Genoa Sail Kit - Part 4", an experienced sail maker pointed out that I should not have added the webbing until all patches are sewn to the sail.

Could you explain why the Sailrite instructions as well as the video say otherwise?

s/v Soñadora, 1978 Baba 30
Minneapolis
(Currently at Barkers Island, Superior, WI)
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 10:46am
We have you do it this way so that the sewing is easier (smaller assembly), and the material thickness is not so extreme during webbing installation. It works great and we have done it this way for decades. I will also remind anyone who asks, that Sailrite's Jim Grant wrote the books on traditional sailmaking that are still in use today by several large well known Sail manufacturers as training guides.

That said, If you want to strengthen the assembly, and your sewing machine is up to the task, just sew over the webbing regions again once the patch is applied to the sail. This will result in an excessively strong webbing/patch/sail assembly.

Carry on, it will all turn out great!

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Soñadora View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soñadora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 12:55pm
Thanks Matt! ;)
s/v Soñadora, 1978 Baba 30
Minneapolis
(Currently at Barkers Island, Superior, WI)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic