Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continuous Bobbin feed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continuous Bobbin feed?
    Posted: 22 July 2013 at 2:56pm
Is there a way to just string the bobbin feed through the same way as the feed that comes from the top?  I am sewing a number of the same things in a row and having to put in a new bobbin every few minutes is time consuming.  I have about 10 soft tops to sew for clients.  Maybe I should be using a different machine altogether?

Thanks for the help.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 3:50pm
Your machine is a lock stitch machine. To produce a lock stitch the upper thread must pass all the way around the lower thread bobbin. For this reason it is not possible to do what you have suggested. There is such a thing as a Chain stitch machine which does not require a bobbin refill but the strength and integrity of the stitch is not as good. In fact when a stitch is broken it is possible for the stitching to unlay completely and much more quickly than what happens when a single stitch of a lock stitch is broken. Canvas work should always be done with a lock stitch. Bags of Dog food can be sewn closed with a chain stitch.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
GregD View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 4:53pm
Thanks for the reply Matt.  So, replacing the bobbin 30 times while sewing a top is just going to be a reality...  What does Sailrite use when doing lots of of the same sails or bimini tops?  Do they use a more robust machine of some kind?  I am thinking I may need to upgrade but not sure...
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 5:11pm
You could go to an "RB" bobbin machine like the Sailrite 111 to get a larger bobbin (guessing about twice the capacity). The Professional series zigzag machines have this larger bobbin as well. These are the machines we use in our canvas shop mostly. The Sailrite Big-N-Tall has our largest bobbin (maybe 20% more than an RB but these are straight stitch only). Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 5:19pm
Greg,

I'm guessing that you know bobbin capacity varies by machine and sometimes even by model. One of the reasons I upgraded from a Singer 111W155 to a Juki 1508 was the bobbin capacity, and there are machines with even higher bobbin capacity with accordingly higher prices. For example various Adler machines seem to be available in three bobbin sizes but all at out-sized prices.

Oops, posting at about the same time Matt was posting

Edited by Tejas - 22 July 2013 at 5:20pm
GregD View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 12:49pm
Thanks for the replys!
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 1:09pm

I am sure someone could figure out how to make an overlocker / serger that could take heavier thread. You'd be sorted then. No bobbins all cones. Big smile

But I guess that's probably chain stitch then. Pinch

Suzi

Edited by suziQ - 23 July 2013 at 1:11pm
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic