Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Industrial Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consew 255 - clone of....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smeyer57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consew 255 - clone of....
    Posted: 24 July 2018 at 1:25pm
after some basic sewing on my home machine, I decided to try an older industrial machine before investing in a more expensive one. I bought a Consew 255 (no letters in model number). It was advertised as a 225 and I was real excited because I see there are many similar machines and the Consew  225 is a supposed clone of the Singer 111 so parts were readily available.

After seeing I actually have a 255 instead. I am a bit more nervous because I don't see much info on this unit. Does anyone know if this is a clone of a certain model singer and if parts interchange?

Thanks
Steve

Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2018 at 1:00pm
Try the following in google.

consew 255 site:leatherworker.net

One of the threads has this"

"Consew 255RB-1, made by Seiko Sewing Machine Company, Seiko model LSW-8BL"

Both Cowboy Bob and Gregg are extremely knowledgeable.

There are several other posts you might want to check or try posting a clarification question there.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
smeyer57 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smeyer57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 1:21pm
Tejas,
Thanks for the tip. I checked there and the Seiko is almost exactly what I have but mine does not have reverse.
I did check out all Consew topics on the site and it was really helpful.
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2018 at 2:55pm
If your machine does not have reverse it might be an early Singer 111W, perhaps 111W155, clone. Apparently the Singer 111W was the precursor of many compound walking-foot machines.

Look at chapter 4 of the manual in the following link ands see if your machine is depicted on page 4-2.

http://militarynewbie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/NAVEDTRA-14217-Aircrew-Survival-Equipmentman-1-C.pdf

Here is a link to an edited copy of the manual that might be a bit more readable.

http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/USNavySinger111WConsew225REPAIR.pdf

I have several Singer 111W155 pdf manuals that I could send you.

Edit, it has been a while since I had last read NAVEDTRA, and I just recalled the following from the document:

"Your shop may have the Consew Model 225, the Juki LU-562, or the Singer Model 111 W 155 sewing machine. These three sewing machines are essentially identical, and all specifications and instructions are the same for all three sewing machines."

Edited by Tejas - 26 July 2018 at 7:57pm
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2018 at 10:40am
Your machine being a Singer 111W155 clone should be quite good news. Documentation and parts are readily available, and many types of feet are compatible. My first industrial machine was a Singer 111W155, and it was a wonderful machine. There is little I could not do that I can do with my Juki other than a few reverse tricks. However, lack of reverse is not as limiting as some might think.

Here are four ways to lock stitches at the start and end of a run without back-tack reverse:
1. Bury the needle, turn the material end for end and sew over the seam. The result is the same as a back-tack but not always practical for large projects.
2. Sew to the end of the run. Lift the foot slightly pull the material about 1/2 inch toward you, drop the foot and sew over the seam. It is important when pulling the material toward you to maintain upper and lower thread tension to avoid a jam.
3. At each end of the run, leave several inches of thread. Tug the thread on the under-side and pull the top-thread through. Tie off the two threads with a surgeon's knot. A square knot can be used, but a surgeon's knot is more secure.
4. Same as above, but leave even longer threads. Do not pull through. Thread a needle on each and sew several stitches back through the same holes in the seam, essentially the same as a manual saddle-stitch. A hassle, but the resulting back-tack should be more secure than a machine back-tack. Also, the result is cosmetic, such as for sewing leather.

A more complicated lack-of-reverse situation would be sewing in the middle of a large project and needing to sew around a rectangular patch for example. Top, bottom, left and right refer to the original orientation of the material. Say starting in the upper right-corner, manually back-tack, sew the right-side, with the needle buried rotate the material 90° counter-clockwise (CCW), sew the bottom-side, manually back-tack, with the needle up move diagonally back to the upper right corner, bury the needle, manually back-tack and sew the top-side, with the needle buried rotate 90° clock-wise (CW), sew the left-side and manually back-tack. Again, when the needle is up, maintain thread tension to avoid a jam.

The only lack of reverse without mitigation I am aware of is using reverse to shorten the length of a stitch at the end of a run. With the machine not running, partially engaging reverse and manually cycling the machine with the hand-wheel can be used to temporarily reduce the stitch-length at the end of a run to finish at a location short of the set stitch-length.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
smeyer57 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smeyer57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:44pm
That's a lot of good info Tejas, Thanks.

My machine looks very similar to the 111w155. I can see a few things that are different.
1. Mine is a semi self oiling. It has oil holes throughout but also has an oil reservoir up top and also below.
2. Fewer oil holes on machine.
3. The thread guide on top is the horizontal type
4. Not sure on the bobbin size but mine is huge, bigger than an 'M'

I was able to time the hook Saturday using instructions from the 111w155
i think I will try a few parts like needle plates from the 111w155 and see how they fit.

Thanks again.

Edited by smeyer57 - 06 August 2018 at 4:25pm
reonk View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 2:50am
i heard that this machine is good
smeyer57 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smeyer57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 1:49pm
The machine can handle 3/8" leather without slowing down. But I haven't been able to sew nylon without it crumpling and I wish it had reverse. But I got it for $100 on Craigslist so I'm not complaining!

I am having fun with it while I practice for my boat cover. So far I have sewn bags for my ATV, valences for my wife, box cushions for our patio glider and a tool bucket insert. I just got my quick fit snap parts. Now I just need for the boat to come out of the water. So i can measure and order more sunbrella.

Can't wait!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic