Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCleaning Sails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeachWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Sails
    Posted: 24 May 2010 at 12:33am
The sailboat I want to sell (an O'Day Daysailer) has useable but dirty sails, and the sails no longer have the 'coating' on the fabric - the sails are old. These sails do not need resewing. I was looking at Sailrite's Maintenance and Repair CD's - I don't see 'Cleaning' as a subject. I was thinking of soaking them in a very dilute bleach solution in the bath tub. Any recommendations on cleaning sails?

Is there a product that can be applied to the sails to restore some of the fabric body?

Peace, Diane
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:44am
To clean the sails use the Iosso Mold and Mildew cleaner. It does a great job without causing "bleach" damage. Here is a product link:

To put the resin back in the sails you would need to talk to Sail Care. Here is their website:

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:08pm
Diane,

I would not use bleach on the sails. The Isso that Matt recommends is great stuff. Be sure to use it as directed on the container. This product has done a good job for me.

Peace, Jean
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic