Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Design
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCFD in Sail Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo Sails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CFD in Sail Design
    Posted: 18 June 2012 at 11:11am
Hi,

Just to introduce myself and to say Hi.

I am a UK sailmaker based in the Cornwall and have just set up a new sail loft called Solo Sails that is focusing primarily on performance based cruising sails for the short-handed offshore scene.

We have started using a new CFD software in order to test and develop some of our designs and though some folks from here might be interested in some of the results.

You can find some more information here about our CFD based Sail Designs

Please feel free to comment and ask questions about the software and our designs.

All the very best,

Andrew Wood
Solo Sails Performance Sailmakers Cornwall UK
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:45am
Hi, Im interested!
I know a little about CFD, but nothing specific to modelling of flow around sails
I assume you are taking into account the deformation of spars and sails.
Can you tell some more about the  solver you are using and specifically the fluid structure interaction part?
Any references?
Good luck with your business and regards,
Duncan
Greetings from Holland
Solo Sails View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo Sails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 12:13pm
Hi,

Firstly, I have to interject here I am not a Fluid Dynamacist (I think I just made that title up, but you get my meaning!) 

It depends on the sail configuration and what I'm trying to study. Some of the studies have specifically been about looking at drag caused by rigging wire, mast etc and in that case, yes the rigging is part of the mesh in the study.

But, making the mesh fine enough for the solver to compute with a 6mm wire over a mesh that is 15m high takes a lot of computing power and is not always needed anyhow. For general flow between sails (fore and main) I tend not to add the rigging in and sometimes not even the mast.

Solver: I use an RANS K epsilon solver for the upwind stuff as there isn't a huge amount of detachment of the flow expected in that scenario, but for the downwind stuff I use a turbulent large eddy (LES) solver.

There is no interaction involved, the mesh is static and does not react to the flow. This is not ideal, but for working out basic sail shape expected lift/drag etc, it is still very useful indeed. 

Thanks for your interest and wishes.

All the best,

Andrew Wood
Solo Sails Performance Sailmakers Cornwall UK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic