Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Cuchions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Cuchions
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:11pm
We are replacing the cockpit cushions on our new-to-us 2007 Mahe 36 catamaran. The current cuchions appear to be a heavy, textured (like woven) vinyl over closed-cell foam. We are reusing the foam, as it is in excellent shape. We need some guidence on the best material to use for the covers. The current cuchions have lasted 8 years in the Caribbean on a charter boat with really only staining requiring their replacement.

James
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 8:41pm
Sounds like you had Phifertex Plus before. This is a very durable vinyl coated polyester mesh. Here is a link:
http://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Marine-Fabric/Marine-Mesh/Popular-Collection/Phifertex-Plus/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
alcyone View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:30pm
Thanks Matt. So i take it the breathability is a better choice than a 100% waterproof material?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 3:03pm
They are different but both if the foam is the type that dries quickly or does not absorb water then I like the mesh better. But if you want a smoother sitting surface and perhaps better cleanability then a outdoor vinyl like Naugahyde All American might be preferred.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
alcyone View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 6:00pm
Hey Matt.... just about to start on the covers and need your expert advice.

I brought the covers back from the Caribbean as shipping back the cushions was out of the question. Without the foam to measure from (should have done it there!) I'd like to confirm the most accurate way to measure. The cushions have a piping around both upper and lower perimeters. Should I measure from inside to inside of the piping or from the outside to outside?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 9:18pm
Measure inside to inside and add 3/8" all around the perimeter to allow for the sewing seam when the new piping is sewn for the new cushion covers.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
alcyone View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alcyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 11:10am
Thanks Matt.... will do. I'll take a pic when they are installed this winter.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 1:20pm
Sounds good. We would love to see them!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic