Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBoat Cover Hem Difficulties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allz28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Cover Hem Difficulties
    Posted: 02 September 2014 at 6:21pm
So I'm making my first sunbrella boat cover, which is a bow and cockpit cover, and I was planning to use a single hem with webbing for my edges.  I started with the bow cover since it's smaller.  The cover has a lot of curves to it because the cover reaches between several posts of a chrome grab rail on both sides.

Anyway, my hem is not working out well at all because of all the curves.  I've made relief cuts to allow the fabric to curve, but instead of having nice smooth curves like my previous cover, I'm ending up with a very jagged edge that doesn't look very professional.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Is there a better edge technique for curves than a single hem?  Or can anyone point me toward a good instructional video?  Thanks!
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2014 at 9:27am
You may actually need to put darts in the edge of the canvas itself if the cover hooks over and edge slightly before snapping. This will tighten the perimeter and result in a better fit.

To get the flatest edge you would create an edge tabling but that requires lots of additional fabric. Most professionals would simply use a softer webbing as the underlayer reinforcement aned bend it around the curves. Then they would cap the raw outer edge with a soft binding in a 3/4" width.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
allz28 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allz28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2014 at 9:07pm
Thanks for the reply, Matt.  The bow cover is flat and does not hook over the edge, so I don't think it needs darts.  My cockpit cover will, however, and I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  :)  

So if I understand you correctly, rather than using a single hem for my edge, I'd be better off using the Binded Edge with Webbing technique?  What would you consider a soft webbing?  Right now I'm working with polypropylene.  Seems sort of soft to me, but what do I know?

Thanks again!
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2014 at 8:33am
I prefer a good Nylon webbing but the Polypro will work.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2014 at 2:58pm
When I made the snap reinforcement for a complex curve, I cut the exact shape, so it lays flat, instead of having a straight edge forcing the fabric to stand up.

The internal layers were made of several pieces, the external top and bottom layers are each one piece.

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 12:26pm
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2014 at 4:43pm
Matt,

Would you please explain the preferrence of nylon webbing. I switched from nylon webbing to polyester webbing for similar applications.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2014 at 5:16pm
Nylon stretches more so I felt it made the most sense for this application. But in general you are correct that Polyester would be best due to its additional UV resistance.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
CTSSEO View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTSSEO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2014 at 3:58am
Boat cover is made with nylon webbing but to some extent polyester is best.I am making cover and it's difficult.It has many curves which I am unable to manage and when tried to use hem my work became more difficult.

Edited by MattGrant - 05 September 2014 at 7:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic