Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBinnacle / Wheel / Instument Cover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:44am
Blimey, whats with the dates.
The OP was in 2009 ?

Suzi
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
WalkingStaff View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 7:25pm
Suzi: I was searching to see if my question had already been answered and this thread seemed sort of related.  Good point on the zipper/instrumentation, but it's clear.  And the same reason for the request, more room to maneuver on that side.  Did you do the video idea of running the zip all the way to the top and splitting the panel or just insert one 2/3s ish of the way up? That's what I'm thinking of doing with a pearl leather piece over the zip top )
Pete
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 7:33am
Hi Pete,
No I haven't seem the video, but I put the zip to the bar over the compass. Guess it could have been 2/3rds really.

I like to tuck the cover around the bottom of the wheel so there is less material to flap about in high winds.
BTW this is not sunbrella, it's a softer material by customers request.

Suzi

Edited by suziQ - 02 February 2012 at 7:39am
WalkingStaff View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:30pm
Nice Pix Suzi, and running the zipper to the bar probably makes it easier to get on and off. What they did in the video ( on the wheel side ) was cut that piece in half vertically adding hem allowance in the middle and ran the zipper almost  to the top of that piece.   I think I'll try their technique except on the binnacle side.  And I also think tucking in at the bottom is a good idea.  And it looks better too.

Pete
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 4:19am
Thanks Embarrassed
Yes I would do it that way on the wheel side. As long as your zipper passes the widest point across  the wheel it should go on ok, but running the zipper to the top  makes it easier to get a neat / waterproof finish to the top of the zip.
I have also been using the 'hidden zipper both sides' technique. Takes a bit of explaining so see if you can find a video on it. If not I can do you some pictures.

Happy sewing Big smile

Suzi
MikeM8560 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeM8560 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 3:58pm
That's what I alway consider Suzie what thebzipper with rub on. I do slot of motor cover eith a zip closure and alwa make a protective flap behind the zipper to protect the paint   
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:11am
For marking the base of mine, I ended up finishing the cover except for the bottom hem, installing it on the boat, and marking the cover "X" inches from the cockpit floor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic