Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBinnacle / Wheel / Instument Cover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Ohler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binnacle / Wheel / Instument Cover?
    Posted: 07 July 2009 at 3:05pm
Any good suggestions for the design and construction of a steerring wheel and binnacle cover for a sailboat?

Thanks,

Bob Ohler
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:17am
Hi Bob,
The best instructions for Binnacle covers is in "Canvas Work" by Jeremy Howard Williams. Unfortunately this book is out of print so you will need to track it down at a library. This is a project Sailrite will be doing in video form within the next year.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 7:12am
The Canvas Worker's Guide that I wrote several years ago has instructions for a binnacle cover but I am not really happy with them. The drawings do not make measurements clear. But the general principles are there and that should help you figure things out -- just ignore the measurement instructions.

As Matt has indicated, we will be undertaking a complete rewrite of that chapter via a video. Hopefully we can get to this project in a month or so.
Jim Grant
Bob Ohler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Ohler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 10:01am
Jim,

Thanks.  I own the book, I had looked for something on the subject, and I still could not find it.

Now I see it on page #153.

Thanks,

rbo
WalkingStaff View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 4:16pm
Jim:  Any update on the video?  I'd like to see/purchase that one!
Thanks,
Pete
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:52am
Hi Pete,
Cold weather has slowed down our boat canvas video work. We will be back on it as soon as possible.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 2:54pm
I made one using the video.  Looks good except I have discovered that one should leave 'plenty' of plush in the measurements.  Mine is snugger than it really should be so I hope it doesn't shrink too much.  I am going to make one for a bud, but he wants the zipper on the binnacle side rather than the wheel side as the video shows.  Is there any strong reason for putting it on the wheel side?  Or to put it another way,  are there any gotcha's if I do it that way?
Thanks,
Pete
( by the way, for me the tricky part was patterning and marking the base of the pieces.  I had more trouble with that than any other.)
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 3:31pm
The zipper can be placed anywhere. I agree that making the patterns on the large side is always a good idea. But don't be concerned about Sunbrella shrinking. It is very stable.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WalkingStaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 8:59pm
Thank you Matt, I appreciate it.
Pete
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:38am
I made one cover with the zip on the side opposite the wheel mainly because there was more room to stand in front of the pedestal to put the cover on than behind the wheel. It works fine & the customer is happy with it.
Just be sure that the zip is not going to rub on compass glass or instruments.

Cool Jim, another happy customer here. I like your winch covers & bags Thumbs Up

Suzi

Edited by suziQ - 01 February 2012 at 4:42am
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic