Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Binding a carpet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binding a carpet?
    Posted: 22 April 2009 at 5:01pm
Can you bind a carpet with a Sailrite Machine?  I would like to make some throw rugs for our boat.  I would buy remnants of carpeting and bind them myself.  Would I need any special attachments?   Thank you for you time.  Diane
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:42pm
You can do it with a very tight, thin carpeting. Materials like our boat blanket will work as well. If the carpet is thin enough you can use a 1" binder and 1" binding.

If you want to work with thicker carpeting you will need a special carpet binding machine.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2009 at 1:33pm
Do check out the article that I wrote for DIY Boat Magazine:

The "hot glue and facing" technique described there allows one to work with quite thick carpets. Of course, they must be rather small or the weight is just too great to permit accurate stitches.
Jim Grant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic