Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bias Binding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juslearnin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bias Binding
    Posted: 14 March 2008 at 2:00pm
In the video download that shows installing a smile zipper in a piece of strataglass they make reference to "bias cut" binding.  Is the Stamoid Vinyl binding tape (Sailrite number 11304) "bias cut"?  I noticed that there is a Topline binding (Sailrite number 1114) that states it is bias cut, but the Stamoid product doesn't say whether or not it is. 

Thanks
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2008 at 2:23pm
Woven fabric may be cut lengthwise or diagonally in order to create binding.  If it is cut diagonally, it is considered to be cut "on the bias".  This is done to make it easier to get the binding to conform to curves when you have to go around them.  As stamoid is a plastic having no waft or weave, there is no difference between bias cut and straight cut.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
Juslearnin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juslearnin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 3:52pm
Thanks for the reply.  I just watched the video again and Eric definitely
says that it is Stamoid bias cut that he is installing.  I have ordered the Topline, which is advertised as bias cut.  I'm just starting out trying my hand at making an enclosure so anything I can learn is gonna help!
I'll see how the Topline reacts when I receive it because the Stamoid definitely doesn't like to go around a bend.

Thanks again.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 4:07pm
There are two kinds of binding: straight cut and bias binding. It is getting to the point that "Bias" binding is becoming a generic term for any binding. This is a trend that should be stopped but the economics of inventory and turnover are problematic. You are correct that a true bias cut will turn corners better. If you want me to check our shelves for a certain fabric type in a true bias I would be happy to do so. The disadvantage to a bias cut is that there are many sewn seams in the final product. At one time all we carried was true bias and we got nothing but complaints about the splices. Unfortunately we do not sell enough of the binding products to offer both bias and straight cut as separate lines.
Best Regards, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic