Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBest way to attach weather stripping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to attach weather stripping
    Posted: 19 May 2012 at 8:16am
I am constructing the "above the windshield" and below the hardtop canvas/windows for our boat.  I would really like to attach your item #103717 to the section that snaps (lift the dot) to the top of the windshield on the outside.  There are times that the bow of the boat will plow into a big wave and wash up over the windshield.  When this happens, our dash becomes quite salty :(    I read that this item can be sewn or glued.  I think I would rather glue, but I'm not sure what type of glue to use.  Can you help?
LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:18am
Gluing depends upon the fabric it is being attached to. But in all cases I prefer to sew it.

Sunbrella is the worst to attempt to glue to. A vinyl fabric would require the use of HH-66 contact cement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LinB View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:38am
Hi Matt~~ 

I'm using Sea Mark fabric.  Guess I'll go ahead and sew.......I was a little hesitant to do this wondering if the stitch line will eventually wear through the weather stripping and cause it to split.  I'm working on the windshield pieces now.  Maybe it would be better till they're installed and I could email you a photo or two.

LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 10:43am
Don't worry about spliting the rubber material --- sew it.

Thanks, Matt
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic