Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBeginner boat cover anxiety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p40whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner boat cover anxiety
    Posted: 21 April 2014 at 10:27am
I', moving my boat to a year round slip out from under a tarp in my driveway and even though I have a bow and cockpit cover for the boat I'd prefer to have a full cover that offers more protection.

My boat is a 21 foot Seaswirl Bow Rider with a wakeboard tower and extended swim platform so total length with the platform is about 23 feet.

I have a decent machine (Juki 3508) to sew it with but I've never attempted a project this big. I watched the "How to make a powerboat cover" video and am considering a purchase of the Winter Boat Cover DVD but am still unsure if I can do a project this big.

Is this a fairly straight forward project that a beginner can handle? Or, would I be better off buying an aftermarket cover and modifying it to encompass the swim platform?

I'm also curious as to what the material cost would be for a boat this size?

Any advice would be appreciated.

THanks
Be who you are, say what your feel, because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 2:50pm
I think this is a very doable project. If you pattern it for your specific boat it will always be better that buying a premade cover.
Material cost is going to be directly tied to the quality of material you use. SurLast would be on the lower end of pricing and Sunbrella Marine would be a more premium cover material.

If you get a 60" width fabric you will likely need about 24 yards. I will let you do the math comparing the options I suggested above.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 4:14pm
My first two larger projects were covers -- the first for a trailer and second for a cockpit. Both were excellent learning projects. Your Juki 1508 will have no problem. You might but you'll learn a lot.

As for advice:

Walk marinas to get ideas, and then keep it simple.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic